Random musings from a guy who has been around the block once or twice...

Sunday, July 7, 2013

The smell of summer in your hair

It's happened so fast but here we are in July. It's been a cooler, more wet summer than what we've experienced in awhile here in Toronto. I'm not complaining really as last summer had enough heat to melt steel.

I try to enjoy July as much as I can as it's typically a month that I don't do much and it can pass right by if I'm not careful. I always seem to take vacations in August so I have to make some fun weekends happen in between. Pride was last weekend and to my surprise it was one of the best ones I've had since I was in my twenties. D wasn't really into Pride stuff so that last couple years weren't that interesting. This year it was all about reclaiming my moment and being able to be a little crazy and put myself out there. I had 3 late nights in row which would normally exhaust me but I got good rest in between and ate fairly well too. All weekend long, all I wanted to do was dance. So finally on the Sunday night after all my friends had called it a night, I decided to go out dancing on my own. It was a retro night at this club that usually has a good vibe. I was not let down. I danced all the way past last call at 4am and left just as the sky was beginning to brighten. Birds chirped at me as I rode my bike home at half past 5 in the morning. It was amazing - such fun to just leave it all on the dance floor. Every so often I'm gonna try to and do this (minus the 4am part) as it's something I love to do. Sometimes it's not about having the friends to go out with but rather the courage to meet new friends on the floor.

Speaking of friends - I'm at another moment where I have the weekend off coming up and I can't seem to get any commitment from any of my gang to go camping with me. This is where boyfriends come in handy although it's something D only ever did with me once. I think that to get away from the city is such a joy from time to time and that a small investment into a tent and a sleeping bag can provide numerous weekends of adventure and fun. I have collected quite a number of things over the years that make each weekend away a great experience. I love making good meals on my stove and my "accessories" add such ease to camp life. All I want to do is share these things except the tent - one does need personal space. I need more friends who can get away for a weekend of fun without boyfriends or jobs getting in the way.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jan Brothen said...

Derek take all the summer weekends away that you can. Enjoy every moment of them!!

July 19, 2013 at 12:14 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home